Re: Release scripts ready for 3.27.3 - Quick HOWTO

On Thu, 2017-11-30 at 11:44 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On 11/30/2017 11:15 AM, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
$ cd ../gnome-modulesets
$ bst track core-deps/m4-common.bst base/crates.bst

The result of this is we'll have specific commit references for the
above two components which dont have any corresponding tarballs, which
is fine.

Actually I don't think that's fine. m4-common is used for generating
release tarballs, not building them; it should not be required for the
release. And I'm not sure what crates is, but if that's Rust crates,
they should all be included in the librsvg tarball.

I disagree here.

I think that we want to avoid as much as possible, the maintenance of
multiple build topologies.

Yes, m4-common provides what modules need to create a distchecked
tarball, but in our builds; do we really want to touch that configure
script, even though it's there ? I think not.

Also, builds where you invoke autogen.sh even though there is a
configure script *might work* with jhbuild release modulesets, but that
is only by accident; because you happen to have m4-common lying around,
nothing happens to be lying around with BuildStream.

As for crates; you are right that librsvg tarballs wont require it, but
again removing it is just a question about introducing more special
cases left and right which you really dont need - it might as well be
there but ignored, rather than investing human effort maintaining two
separate builds.

So we have some modules that are needed when building from git, but not
from tarballs. Probably modules that don't have corresponding tarballs
should be dropped from the bst moduleset. I think that's what the
original convert-to-tarballs script did.

convert-to-tarballs.py originally has a very special case for
explicitly removing m4-tarball actually, however it does leave these
dangling dependencies on the non-existent m4-tarball module.

Cheers,
    -Tristan