[Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox Applet 0.1.0 Released

I've written a GNOME panel applet that lets you control Rhythmbox via
its Bonobo interface and creatively named it Rhythmbox Applet.  This
applet has several advantages over using the icon Rhythmbox currently
puts in the notification area, which inspired me to write it:

* The applet provides one-click access to the main playback controls,
  instead of putting them in a context menu.

* The applet displays the current playing time without requiring a
  mouse-over.

* The applet's tooltip also displays the current song's album.

Screenshots, source code, and a mirror of the arch repository can be
found at http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kuliniew/rhythmbox-applet/.  Since
this is a development release, there's still a few rough edges and
things to be done (most of which are listed in the TODO file), but all
the main functionality is there.

I'd like to get some feedback on it to see what you guys think and to
hear what other features (if any) might be useful.  I'd especially like
to hear from anybody who uses a vertical panel on their desktop; since I
don't use one myself, I don't know if the way the applet lays itself out
in one works well or not, or if putting this applet in one makes much
sense in the first place.

Also, I've run into a problem trying to start Rhythmbox via Bonobo, but
I'm not sure if it's a bug in my applet code or some misconfiguration on
my computer.  If Rhythmbox isn't running and you click the applet's Play
button, it should launch Rhythmbox and tell it to start playing.  The
code I'm using to start Rhythmbox looks something like:

const gchar *query = "((repo_ids.has('IDL:GNOME/Rhythmbox:1.0')))";

proxy->priv->rb = bonobo_activation_activate (
	query, NULL, 0, NULL, &proxy->priv->ev);
if (proxy->priv->rb == CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
{
	/* report the error... */
	return;
}

(This is adapted from rb_proxy_connect in rb-proxy.c, for those playing
along at home.)  As far as I can tell this is correct, but when it runs
I get this error:

WARNING **: Bonobo error: Child process did not give an error message,
unknown failure occurred

If Rhythmbox is already running, there's no problem connecting to it.
The query seems to run fine if I execute it with the
bonobo-activation-run-query command.  The same if I try to use the query
"(iid == 'OAFIID:GNOME_Rhythmbox')".  If anyone can reproduce the
problem or tell me what's causing it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!