Error in rep: undefined symbol

I posted this to the librep-list, but got no response.  Perhaps
no one saw it among all the spam.  Here is my original message:

-----

I recently upgraded to librep-0.17 and sawfish-1.2-gtk1.  Now, when
I run sawfish-ui, I get this error:
rep: error in loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/libexec/rep/0.17/i686-pc-linux-gnu/rep/i18n/gettext.so: undefined
symbol: bind_textdomain_codeset
I have no idea how to fix this myself.  The sawfish upgrade tweaked
some of my preferences, and I'd like to tweak them back.  Can someone
suggest how I can get sawfish-ui working?
--
Bryan Medsker
bryan ak net