Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Introducing

On 16 Aug 2001 18:34:36 +0300, Diego Delgado Lages wrote:

> > 	the client has a direct connection to postgres (libpq the client
> > library can work from any platform: Java, C, C++, ODBC, Windows, Unix,
> > MacOS ...), an it has another connection to the GIS, the console passes
> > the configuration/control actions to the machines trogught the GIS, as
> > the GIS is modular (everything is in plugins), you could provide a pure
> > CORBA plugin to send the actions. You could use the rest of the system.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
>
> 	Well,
>
> 	Confused, but seems fine. Let me understand it first and then give more
> feedback, but seems fine for me. The only problem that I see is that it must
> have postgres(and so far, only postgres). I'd like to eliminate postgres(or
> other SQL database) if possible. Postgres is somewhat heavy, and, for example,
> I wouldn't install this configuration program in my production database
> server(a postgres one).

The database is currently used for:

* storing events
* storing the public passwords and other information of the objects in
the system
* storing the public passwords of users and other info related to them
* storing the objects that the users have access to

When i started to build Gaia wanted it to be easily scalable to a
network with lots of computers, that's mainly the reason of using a
database. In the future as Gaia matures the database backend will be
used a lot more.

If postgres is heavy for your needs you can also develop a plugin that
would let gaia talk to other database, the database access is also based
on plugins, currently the postgres plugin is 6000 bytes of source code.

In the future i plan to use libGDA (from the GNOME-DB project) to access
the databases.