Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] users-conf: Reading comments??

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, SHANE BUTLER wrote:

> I have found that the users-conf script reads lines starting with '#' ie.
> a comment, and tries to enter them as users.
>
> Is this right?  Is there a standard for commenting in /etc/passwd, or is
> the use of '#' in the username field bad?

The hash (#) is very commonly used in a lot of file formats in UNIX, but
unfortunately, there is no standard regarding this matter, and so, you can
never assume that something that works in one format will do in others.
No, hashes are not text commenting units in /etc/passwd, as stated in
passwd (5).

Greetings
Arturo