Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] perl -w

Hi Ryan,

On 21 Mar 2001, Ryan Boren wrote:
> I'll take 'em on.  Attached is a unified diff patch against the
> backends directory.  All warnings but the "used only once" ones
> should be squashed.  The number of lines of warnings have been
> reduced from 494 to 57.

	This is really great work, many thanks indeed Ryan. I read the
patch over and it looked golden, writing a ChangeLog really helps
speed up patch inclusions, this is clearly harder with such large
scoped changes, I hacked up:

2001-03-21  Ryan Boren <rboren@fuzzybelly.org>

	* backends/*: my $var -> my ($var) everywhere

	* backends/*: @_[n] -> $_[n] everywhere

	* backends/network-conf.in: Use qw in places.

	* backends/*: forward -> "forward" etc.

	* backends/parse.pl.in, backeds/replace.pl.in: replace
	\n in regexps with $n.

	and committed the patch.

> BTW, when creating lists of strings, qw() is very useful.  Words
> inside of qw do not need to be quoted and do not need to be
> comma-separated.  I saw a few places in the code where qw would have
> saved alot of typing and would have avoided "unquoted string may
> clash with keyword" warnings.

	Since you seem to be a most useful hacker, can I wonder what
you are working on out loud ? I just committed a start to a little
printtool replacement backend, and have no time now to take it
further. Would you be interested in kicking the ugly Tcl/Tk
printtool's butt with me ?

	Regards,

		Michael.