Re: Why does this not exist?

Would that return the parent of the folder?

I might agree with a patch that adds this API. Mind though that not
every folder strictly has to be inside another folder store.

Currently will all folders exist within another folder store, but it's
not any current API contract whatsoever.

So your API can return NULL (at least document it that way then).