Re: [Usability] Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Uno Engborg wrote:

Ericks dialog is also more similar to filedialogs from other windowing
environments such as KDE and Windows. I really think that we should try
to unify how a dialog used this often looks like in various environments
as much as possible.  Especially since we can expect users to mix and
match applications on from various toolkits on the X desktop.

<rant>

If for every UI decision, we had to take 'mix and matching' users into
account, we'd probably be no further than fvwm95 by now.

True, but in the real world people do mix and match, and not taking this into account,
most people end up with desktops that are far worse than win95.

IMHO, GNOME is not about imitating other windowing environments, but about
creating the best possible environment for newbies and experienced users
alike. The whole concept of a file selector is a relic of the past, when
11" monitors were the state of the art. But since people have come to
expect them so much, let's at least try to design one with a bit of
original thinking. And I have to say that Ericks' and Eugenia's proposals
look like a step in the right direction to me.
</rant>

I'm not suggesting that we should imitate other desktops. I'm merly saying that there is little need to invent something for the purpose of inventing alone. If we see things that are good in other desktops we should see how that can be implemented/improved
in Gnome, but not look for ways to make them different if we don't have to.

Unfortunately we have a lot of historical luggage to carry. For that we only can blame old time open source developers that usually had the macho attitude, that if you can't do it from the command line it is not worh doing, and people that can't use a "simple"
command line are stupid.

Luckily this have changed. But we lost valuable time where Xerox Parc, Apple, and to some extent Microsoft, defined what a GUI is to most people of today. This means that if we do something that is completely different from how similar tasks are carried out in these systems, we will increase the effort needed to learn our system to most of our potential users. So if we do it completely different we must make sure it is that much better, that it is worth that extra learning effort. If it isn't we should
stay with a similar solution.

E.g. it would probably be possible to dream up a keyboard layout that could improve typing speed. In fact there have bin several people that have tried. But most of us still prefer QUERTY because the effort to learn a new keybord isn't justyfied by the increase
in typing speed.

In this case putting the location shortcuts on the top of the dialog have little extra value on screens that are tall enough to support it, and problems on small screens. New
users comming  to Gnome from Microsoft or KDE  and would have an easier time
identifying the shortcuts as shortcuts if they are in a fammiliar place, and people
that mix and match will have a more consistent desktop experience.

And as I said, if file selection normally is 3 step process, there is something wrong with the default directory selected when the fileselector is opened. Then we should
fix this instead of adding an extra step to the fileselector.

/uno

regards,