Re: Standardizing _METACITY_UPDATE_COUNTER

Quoting Soeren Sandmann <sandmann daimi au dk>:

> How so? There is no additional complexity, just a slightly different
> syntax. The basic protocol is exactly the same.
I was talking more about the complexity of the implementation. I was reviewing
the patches, and not using XSync would cut the size of the patches by a third
to a half. Anyway, I see that there is an advantage to using XSync, so I'm okay
with the extra implementation complexity.

<snip>
> Of course, this blocking algorithm _is_ much more complex than the
> simple non-blocking one, but since doing the replies through the SYNC
> extension isn't really any more complex than sending client messages,
> I don't see any reason to not make it _possible_.
Okay. I'm going to try to implement the blocking algorithm in kwin to see just
how much more complex it is :)

Anyway, I agree with the comments you made, so here is the revised protocol:

_NET_SYNC_REQUEST (client message)
    window = top-level window being resized or moved
    message_type = _NET_SYNC_REQUEST
    format = 32
    data.l[0] = low-bits of counter value
    data.l[1] = high-bits of counter value

_NET_WM_SYNC_COUNTER (client window property)
    type: XA_CARDINAL
    format: 32
    nelements: 1
    XID of a SYNC extension counter associated with the client window.
    The presence of this property, set to a value that is not None,
    indicates the willingness of the client to participate in this protocol.

Client window behavior:
    At startup, create a new SYNC counter object, initialized to 0.Set the
    _NET_WM_SYNC_COUNTER window property to the XID of this counter.

    On receiving a _NET_SYNC_REQUEST, note that the next ConfigureNotify
    must be acknowledged.

    On receiving a ConfigureNotify for which a _NET_SYNC_REQUEST is pending,
    first complete all processing and drawing associated with the event.
    Then, acknowledge the _NET_SYNC_REQUEST by setting the SYNC counter to
    the value specified in the request.

    It is permissable to compress acknowledgements to _NET_SYNC_REQUEST
    messages by setting the SYNC counter to the value specified in the
    latest handled message.

Window manager behavior:
    When performing a window operation where synchronization is desired,
    send a _NET_SYNC_REQUEST to the client before sending a synthetic
    ConfigureNotify event, or causing a real one to be generated by calling
    XMoveResizeWindow.

    When sending a _NET_SYNC_REQUEST, set its counter value to a serial
    number. This number should start at 1 and increase by 1 for each
    _NET_SYNC_REQUEST sent to a given client window.

Implementation notes:
    When resizing or moving a window, a window manager is advised to not
    perform another XMoveResizeWindow, and not send the associated
    _NET_SYNC_REQUEST until the client has acknowledged the previous request.

    Window managers are advised to implement a timeout on how long they will
    wait for a client to acknowledge a _NET_SYNC_REQUEST. After this timeout
    expires, window managers are allowed to send another _NET_SYNC_REQUEST,
    and perform another XMoveResizeWindow.

Sincerely,
    Rayiner Hashem