Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On 2005-06-26, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 10:51 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>>
>>  I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but should these be toplevel windows at
>> all? If it's really part of the window, it should really be a part of the
>> window.
>>

> The problem is that subwindows are clipped to the parent window. There's
> various ways to imagine fixing X or the toolkits, but right now a
> toplevel is pretty much the easiest approach...

How about a (_NET_)WM_TOOLBOX_FOR hint? If these windows are not short-lived
and essentially modal, they're not transients and should not be marked as
such. Separate toolbox windows are absolutely unusable UI design (as if the
conventional WIMP desktop wasn't already messy enough without a zillion
toolboxes), but if you really need to have that kind of shit, why not have a
nice semantic hint for it, so that the WM can place them along the sides of
the window (perhaps in the same frame) or something?

> The SELF_MANAGED name Rob suggested isn't bad probably...

Such hints should not even exist, let alone be used.

--
Tuomo