Re: [xml] Idea

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 06:33:11PM +0100, Petr Tomasek wrote:
I'm quite beginner to xml (I created some simple programs with libxml1
[...]
I have an idea about compiling xml's into binary form. It would mean creating
[...]
1) More security- consider servers/cgi-scripts with statical data (statically linked)
- there would be no way fooling you by inserting fake xml's (or even inserting
xml's that could cause - possibly- buffer ovveruns etc.)

  If malformed XML can generate buffer overrun in libxml2 then report them !
Binary object would not be "checkable" it's just the opposite very weak
security wise.

2) Better performance (sometimes) - since- if I uderstand what OS does well- the

  If XML is too slow to handle your data, use a database backend, Oracle will
be very plased to sell you one !

So my question is - would such concept be possible, and acceptable as part of
official xml?

  Possible yes. Interesting, IMHO no. It's a frequent temptation
for beginners, and always refuted. If you need a binary format, XML is
not useful, and vice-versa.

Daniel