[xml] Re: [xslt] xsltproc on windows front slash/backslash conundrum

[initally posted in xslt gnome org but this really affects all libxml2 users]

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 04:49:43AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
I think that's the correct URL for a resource on a local Windows system.
The problem is that when parsed
  h:///pkdp/docmodules/doctools/1.0/DocShared/xsl/share/frankenguide.xml
according to RFC 2396 URI parsing rules your file path generate an URI
which is unfetchable (protocol "h" !)

  I'm kind of annoyed by:
    1/ the number of time this get raised
    2/ the fact that trying to fix it might be a deviation to the strict rules
       of the standard

 But as 1/ accumulates maybe I'm gonna get really bored and make a special
routine  when compiling on windows to automagically convert a Windows
file path to a correct URI, it's not fun but ...

  Okay, 1/ won ! I tried to cover the various paths where a filename is passed
down the library for loading of a resource and plug a Windows->URL filename
converter.
I would appreciate if Windows users could test the enclosed patch I commited to
CVS for libxml2 and report problems or unvovered code paths where the
conversion might still be missing.

  BTW the new function xmlNormalizeWindowsPath() doesn't try to fix
    \a\b\c to file:///a/b/c
while it should fix
    c:\a\b\c to file:///c:a/b/c

Daniel