[xml] Parsing a DTD

hi,

I am creating an xml file as a backup of my database and now I have been
trying to add
the DTD into the xml-file. For that purpose I try to read teh dtd using the
command below:

 xmlDtdPtr dtd = xmlParseDTD(NULL,(const xmlChar*)"genealog.dtd");

I have tried the pathname in several ways but with little sucecss. The
result has been all the time
that dtd = NULL.

What is the error here? Can I get any error code from libxml? I found some
mentions about
xmlGenericError but did not understand how I should use it.

I am using W2K and my program is made using VC++ 6.0 and MFC. The xml-file
is created correctly
but I cannot load the dtd.

My software version is: "  This is libxml2, version 2.6.4, binary package
for the native Win32/IA32
platform."

regards
Kaarle