Re: PATCH: foobar clock widget

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 16:32, Dennis M. Cranston wrote:
> Mikael -
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.  But, I have to disagree. The menu panel is
> a different type of panel.  It always contains Applications, Actions,
> the Clock, and Tasks.  The goal of the menu panel is to provide average
> users with a familiar panel layout.  If you don't like the menu panel
> then you shouldn't use it.  You could replace it with an edge panel at
> the top of your screen.  BTW, you stated that the clock applet is better
> than the hard coded clock in the foobar.  But, who is the clock applet
> better for?  I don't think it is better for the average user.

I think I have to agree with Mikael here. In terms of a usability
experience [1], it it somewhat inconsistent, especially since you can
*only* have one menu panel and you can't move it around at all. I think
a better situation would be to remove the menu panel, and if the user
needs it, create a 'menu panel' out of a menu applet, a clock applet and
a tasklist applet. This can easily be done since the new panel will
start using schemas, and we can easily setup a default panel which will
be just fine for the average user.

			See ya,
				Glynn :)

[1] And I'm sure hoping that someone from the usability side of things
will jump in here :)