Re: PATCH: foobar clock widget

mån 2001-12-17 klockan 15.17 skrev Sander Vesik:
> On 17 Dec 2001, Glynn Foster wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 16:32, Dennis M. Cranston wrote:
> > > Mikael -
> > >
> > > Thanks for your suggestions.  But, I have to disagree. The menu panel is
> > > a different type of panel.  It always contains Applications, Actions,
> > > the Clock, and Tasks.  The goal of the menu panel is to provide average
> > > users with a familiar panel layout.  If you don't like the menu panel
> > > then you shouldn't use it.  You could replace it with an edge panel at
> > > the top of your screen.  BTW, you stated that the clock applet is better
> > > than the hard coded clock in the foobar.  But, who is the clock applet
> > > better for?  I don't think it is better for the average user.
> >
> > I think I have to agree with Mikael here. In terms of a usability
> > experience [1], it it somewhat inconsistent, especially since you can
> > *only* have one menu panel and you can't move it around at all. I think
>
> Actually, these all sound like good reasons to have it - something that
> just works, doen't jump around the screen, only ever appears in the one
> place you want it. It is extremely consistent - in fact its static 8-)

That assumes the user wants/has the foobar panel, not the default panel
(ie. the one on the bottom with the footmenu). Running anything but
Ximian GNOME you have to manually construct the foobar.

> > a better situation would be to remove the menu panel, and if the user
> > needs it, create a 'menu panel' out of a menu applet, a clock applet and
> > a tasklist applet. This can easily be done since the new panel will
> > start using schemas, and we can easily setup a default panel which will
> > be just fine for the average user.
> >

> This assumes that the user wants to bother itself with stuff like
> constructing a panel as opposed to just using a perfectly nice panel we
> already have.

Since the foobar is not default (if it should be is a completly other
discussion) the user will have to bother him-/herself with creating it
anyway.

Better would imho to have the default panel with the clock applet
included (through the gconf schema file).

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/