Re: [Usability] Re: Control-center styles

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:29:48AM -0600, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> Ah, ok.
>
> That would be treated in the same manner as a dialog, afaik, so my idea
> that the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR property could be used is definitely out.
>
> Aside:
>  We're making a distinction between the windows that popup at the user's
>  request and those that popup because the user needs to be informed of
>  something. The latter are being called "alerts". The distinction is
>  important because alerts are usually an unpleasant experience and should
>  be avoided insofar as is possible.

Well, there are some dialogs which aren't alerts which have no parent window.
Example would be most panel dialogs, since really they cannot be children of
any particular panel since none of these are actual real toplevel style
windows.

Another dialog without a parent which is not an alert is a some form of
'druid' dialog when you start some app and it needs some setup.  Like the
initial nautilus druid.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>