question re: workspace names

Hi,

Under post-GUADEC euphory influence I decided I wanted to fix the problem
of my gnome2 beta3 desktop not using the workspace names I set in various
places.  I thought it was going to be a relatively straightforward fix but
it seems a bit harder than I thought at first.

I started digging through libwnck, finding comments suggesting that it was
not implemented right yet.

I'm trying to keep notes as to what I do while I'm at it, which I paste
below the mail.

In any case, I would like to ask any of you in the know if, at first,
sawfish needs to be fixed so that it outputs UTF8_STRINGS for the
workspace names or not.
I'd like to know what is the right way to fix it so that I can do so
before things get out of hand ;)

Also, does anyone know how this should be handled by GConf and friends ?

Here's what I figured out for workspaces :

* according to the WM spec, the window manager needs to set
  _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES with the names of the workspaces
  xprop -root can be used to check this
* according to Havoc, the WM should do this using UTF8_STRING instead of
  STRING

* SAWFISH :
  sawfish seems to use STRING instead of UTF8_STRING, so that probably
should
  be fixed
  I wrote a small test-workspace.c program to go with the other test apps
  in libwnck
  the pager applet seems to use workspace names stored in GConf.  It does
not
  seem to sync this to sawfish however.

* METACITY :
  based on output from people that use it, metacity puts out the desktop
names
  as UTF8_STRING

All of these notes are about the gnome2 beta3

Thanks,
Thomas

what good are promises
if nobody honours them ?