Getting serious about releasing

Hi,

If we plan to release in the next decade, it's time to punt bugs.  My
professional opinion is that the current must-fix bugzilla query
contains a whole lot of bugs that need punting in order to
realistically make any release dates.

I've spent the last 3 hours going through the whole must-fix list in
bugzilla and splitting it into puntable and not puntable. My list is
appended.

It's sort of a judgment call which bugs can be punted, but
I promise you have to punt on the scale of the appended punt-list or
we may as well go ahead and update the schedule to show a release in
September or later. Seriously.

So, if you think a bug I listed should really not be punted, either a)
fix it right away b) suggest a bug that I have as not puntable that
you'd punt instead or c) have the guts to go ahead and argue for a
September or later release. Please don't do c). ;-)

Luis I think we really need this reflected in bugzilla; whatever
criteria we currently have for the must-fix list is too loose. We need
a way to mark genuine showstoppers. Suggestions?

FWIW I don't think "has patch" should get something on the must fix
list. Bugs with a patch still take an hour or two to deal with many
times. We don't have those hours among the core developers before
2.0. I'm personally ignoring all bugs-with-patch unless the patch is
processable in 5 minutes ("just commit, looks fine") or the bug is
genuinely must-fix.

As we near the release date, some of the things I've marked "not
puntable" can legitimately become puntable, as well, or can be
half-ass-fixed (e.g. by just disabling or hiding the broken
functionality entirely). To get the last 1% of the way to a final
release, emergency hacks are always required.

Even my list of "not puntable" is probably too long to make the
current schedule.

Finally, we need to start pushing for final ABI freezes. What's the
next level of dependency stack? linc/ORBit/libglade? We need to get
those to 2.0.0 status and get them out with fixed ABI. Can the release
team start the cron job assault on the maintainers of these packages?

Let's put this thing to bed...

Havoc

Not puntable:

(There may be fast/expedient solutions here but we at least need to
look at all these.)

46727: bonobo-activation daemon doesn't exit when it should
79033: bonobo component focus issues
79058: small libbonoboui fix for libglade fix
78015: changing key beep volume doesn't work in keyboard capplet
78016: other keyboard bell options also broken
78013: xf86 calls used for keyboard capplet
 (the above three are all the same basic task, rewrite
  link between settings daemon and keyboard settings on X server)
72715: menu editing and vfolders mess
79576: keybindings capplet not working properly
72020: libgtop cheesy makefile bug
75938: should take out menu applet because it's broken
77066: gnomine numbers are screwed up due to varying font sizes
       (a big deal since it looks embarassing)
77502: "open with" doesn't open the capplet when it offers to
72362: panel duplicates dead applets instead of handling them
77275: panel crashes when dragging from "addtopanel->launcherfrommenu"
       (just disable the silly feature)
75975: minor issue with panel global properties (so easy it's
       not worth punting)
76925: launchers and applets reloading in the wrong position
75850: gnome-session seems to forget to save data sometimes
8547:  logout shading is slow on framebuffer
77529: window size jumps around in gnome-terminal
73769: can't delete folders in applications:///
       (part of 72715)
73773: can't rename items in applications:///
       (part of 72715)
73768: new folder in applications:/// gets broken name
       (part of 72715)
73770: DND to applications:/// doesn't work
        (part of 72715)
75150: automatic updating of menus doesn't work in panel
78764: some weird warning from Nautilus that may be gtk's fault
74461: stuck grab during DND
78941: API addition so GnomeIconEntry can be a mnemonic target
73284: libzvt crash on middle button paste
75814: compose key hosed in libzvt
79551: sync Nautilus to a libbonobui change
71725: way to customize desktop and list view font
73078: no help in Nautilus
73839: can't remove/rename applications:/// folder
       (dup of 73773, part of 72715)
74907: remove Favorites icon from start here
       (I think I missed a consensus on this on the list,
       but favorites seems to be gone)
75372: can't open file types control panel from Nautilus
       (dup of 77502 I think)
75635: Tree view not working (due to libtool relinking screwup, so may
       be a packaging issue)
76571: Tree view not working (same as 75635?)
75617: files not disappearing when deleted (puntable if it turns
       out to be unreproduceable bogon)
74974: can't DND from list view
75209: need to word wrap the notes sidebar (trivial, not worth
       punting)
75214: preferences:/// etc. should be read-only
75775: double-click behavior in list view sucks
76789: Nautilus uses wrong DND drag modifiers
74976: list view does the wrong thing when you press enter
74395: Zoom number not centered correctly (thought someone fixed this)
66608: Sawfish doesn't support _NET_WM_STRUT
71363: back button doesn't always work in yelp

Not puntable don't know the bug number:

 - Default applications, MIME types, etc. capplet mess
 - Theme/fonts/appearance capplet mess
 - Need workspace-switching keybindings that move by pager geometry

Puntable:

78785: no window max/min/restore signals in at-spi
76196: gedit mangles file permissions
77517: tab broken in logout dialog
71189: bug-buddy help is broken
76415: collection of small UI problems with file types capplet
       (puntable because this capplet needs major help apart from the
       small details, the whole default apps and mime types thing is broke)
78037: remove "web" tab from preferred applications (?)
       (puntable because this is the same big default apps issue)
78029: no way to add new themes (plus I think rachel has fixed this)
79156: no help in EOG
76613: esound doesn't compile with some random ALSA beta
77015: gdmconfig has minor HIG violation with help button
79456: unreproduceable lack of cursor in gedit text view
52592: ghex -> add a view menu item does nothing
71456: ghex missing help in preferences dialog
76209: undo/redo broken in ghex
79158: no help contents in ghex
79480: Help contents in glade is broken
6771:  CD player applet broken for SCSI drives
72670: gkb applet missing help
72672: select layout dialog in gkb applet missing help
72674: gkb applet edit keymaps dialog missing help
74147: no help buttons working in gkb
74884: no help on foobar
74887: I don't understand what this bug is, but it sounds puntable ;-)
76713: colors wrong for mini-commander, but looks fixed for all but
       one guy with broken gconf setup
50595: missing translation markers for a couple strings in
       gnome-weather
76425: stock ticker applet has a preference that doesn't work
77467: some fonts can't be chosen for stock ticker applet
79538: desktop background mangled if you have a huge monitor
       (puntable because people with 24-inch plasma displays suck :-P)
76394: No categories field in launcher editor
51016: clean up sol.scm patch
74185: canfield doesn't end game when it should
50700: help not working in aisleriot
75378: save dialog doesn't display when it should in
       gnome-sound-recorder
75932: menu panel keynav has some small issues (but is titled "mostly
       broken" but comments on bug make that seem inaccurate)
76651: help broken for panel properties dialog
79335: totally hosed panel/nautilus, looks bad but also looks
       like a bad install or otherwise unreproduceable
70502: minor inconsistency in where right-click menu appears
67201: panel needs multihead support
76804: need mnemonics for clock applet right-click menu
78269: no focus indicator for some applets
79432: set window title on the panel
       (btw this should also be filed on Nautilus for desktop window)
72604: docs out of sync on foobar clock
55260: launch feedback, big architecture thing, not going to happen
77146: if you run gnome-session twice it blows up (don't do that then
       is good enough for 2.0.0)
57151: make splash screen image configurable
50904: gdict memory leak
71571: gdialog has some broken options
71570: gdialog has some other broken options
74755: gdialog uses deprecated API
78508: filenames overlap and look ugly in archive generator
79044: UI/accessibility issues in gdict
79476: missing mnemonic for some menu items in archive generator
71569: gdialog has yet more broken options
       (you know, for Red Hat 7.2 I just removed gdialog...)
72104: archive generator doesn't disable a menu item when it should
71573: gdialog even more broken than heretofore reported
78491: can't print from gdict
74408: typos in gnome-vfs hungarian translation
78404: gstreamer installs out-of-prefix (only puntable since I don't
       think gstreamer is part of gnome 2, is it? very broken though)
77977: some tree view crash
71297: rendering glitch in Gorilla trashcan icon
78291: can't use keyboard to select text in libzvt (puntable because
       it sounds really hard to fix to me and I doubt anyone will
       soon, if we got a patch it might be different.)
74371: Nautilus hangs on bad NFS mount (I vote for NOTABUG on this)
75232: gtkhtml view in Nautilus crash
75387: Nautilus crash pressing escape while icon browser is loading
77201: a Nautilus window closes itself while doinng specific weird
       thing
75120: Nautilus crash on startup (seems to be fixed, should close bug)
79231: Nautilus gets stuck playing mp3 files
76192: Zoom doesn't work on list view
40393: memory leak on each view switch (puntable because it's tiny
       and it's not even clear it exists)
75229: keynav glitch in one of the Nautilus prefs panes
48423: dropping a file on the sidebar dups the file
75131: remove "reset background" from right-click desktop menu
75458: right-click on list view file sometimes enters rename mode
77875: putting start-here or trash on the panel causes weird behavior
75516: files are listed before folders in list view
74916: no way to organize items by emblem in the list view
78949: bookmarks menu temporary redraw issue when adding bookmarks
       quickly
75830: Nautilus home folder menu item uses the wrong icon
41963: list view doesn't take custom colors/backgrounds
47893: replace file dialog could be better
45711: Need option to open multiple files in single application
       instance
41671: Desktop lacks auto-arrange/grid (important, but too hard, not
       going to get done for 2.0)
77033: verify that the history list is not cleared after nautilus
       quit/restart
75614: Java toplevel frames are fucked up and broken and Sawfish
       doesn't read its mind and make it work ;-)
77772: Sawfish capplet location wrong in ximian snaps, maybe
       in tarballs too, unknown
76288: Naming quibble about sawfish root menu (who cares about the
       Sawfish root menu, just turn it off)
75473: weird bogon redraw bug with resize feedback box
71374: procman crash, doesn't seem to happen often
69412: glitches in procman gconf Makefile setup