RE: Getting serious about releasing

My email at home is borked at the moment so here my comments (subscribed as mike redtux demon co uk)

I have done a it of digging on two groups of bugs
1. Menu editing
2. Default applications

These are my workarounds (which do work)

copy a /usr/share/apps/*.destop file for the program you want to place in menus

Modify for the new program
ie: (from memory)
change name of program, command of program, icon, type of program,category
eg:
Abiword
/usr/bin/abiword
/usr/share/whater
category Application;Office

it works

 2. Default applications

edit /usr/share/application-registry/gnome-vfs-applications (I think)
copy an entry, paste in right place and edit to taste
Then it appears in the modify screen in  nautilus

Both of these are manual edit ops but work, so shouldn't it be possible to wrap a gui round the operations which are fairly simple at least for the moment

I know this does not fix the borkage of the Nautilus menu editor but if we shipped with something like this we could put the nautilus back in when it is fixed.

On another point bug 76196 about gedit file permissions needs fixing asap

I am not at my linux box so these may not be exactly right but are as near right as to follow through as an example.