Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:51:16PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 19:19, Dick Porter wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 04:12:32PM -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > > A window that is larger than your screen is useless anyways, and is a
> > > certain indicator of a buggy application --- why would an application
> > > create a window larger than your screen, rather than size itself
> > > correctly and let you scroll?
> >
> > Not true!
> >
> > Having the ability to see windows that are larger than the physical
> > screen is very handy for viewing large diagrams at least (when scaling it
> > down to fit one screenful makes the detail too small to see, and scrolling
> > is more awkward then choosing quadrants).
>
> Then the app is broken and needs an interface like ggv has for handling
> that case.

And you're proposing to add that widget to gnome-terminal too?

Yes, I occasionally have a gnome-terminal thats wider than my screen.  (For
chores such as mysql client, when I want to see lots of columns in a table
at once; or oggenc with extremely long filenames so that the little spinning
cursor doesnt cause a new line each time it spins; or examining a deeply
nested call trace in mono where I want to see the whole line without
it wrapping; etc etc etc)

- Dick