Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

tis 2002-04-30 klockan 15.24 skrev Havoc Pennington:

> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> > We need to design GNOME from the ground up to achive significantly
> > better usability[3]. This is called interaction design. What we're doing
> > now is, roughly speaking, interface design...we're pushing pixels on the
> > screen. Usability has to be more than spit and polish if we want to be
> > any better than mediocre[1]. Sadly, I really doubt we, as a project are
> > either nimble enough, or agree well enough who GNOME should be for, or
> > have the guts to do this. Throwing away code is too painful[2].
> >

> Ah, Seth. Young, naive, in college. ;-) Throwing away code on the
> scale you mention isn't too painful, it's too *stupid*. You also throw
> out all existing applications, free and proprietary, by the way, and
> end up with a desktop no cross-platform toolkit can reasonably
> target...
>
> If someone wants to start a revolutionize-the-UI project in parallel
> to GNOME that would be great, but I strongly suspect you'll end up in
> the Berlin category. Please prove me wrong, but don't risk GNOME on
> it. ;-)

Hmm .. isn't what seth are referring to some of his thoughts that he
expressed at Guadec?

If so I think some of them where pretty interesting but I'm not sure if
they fit in the GNOME project. You where talking about making GNOME a
"OS" as opposed to just a GUI layer on top of another distribution (with
a pretty thin layer of glue between them).

I think that would be pretty cool (a little of what MacOS X has done
with BSD) but I hardly think it fits in the GNOME project, GNOME should
provide the base for something like this to happen and then someone can
make there own distribution with GNOME very tightly integrated with the
rest of the operating system. I've been thinking some about doing
something like that myself.

Anyway, I might be on a totally different track here so just shot me :)

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal