Re: Nautilus usability and nit-picks

Chris Chabot wrote:

Is it the right-thing-to-do to follow the Microsoft Windows(Tm) way of move/copy when our file system philosophy is so different? (thats an actual question, not rhetorical) or are we over-duplicating windows behaviour here?

I don't think we should. In unix, volumes are below the filesystem abstraction -- volumes aren't supposed to be user-visible.

If they aren't user-visible, then they shouldn't decide user-level behavior.

I can open up / in nautilus, and copy a file into tmp/ and etc/, and the file will be copied to etc/ but moved to tmp/. There isn't any visible difference between tmp/ and etc/, but they get different actions. That's bad.

And what's the benefit of copying files between volumes instead of moving them? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you expected to keep a copy on your original volume... but if the new volume disconnects or disappears, you won't be able to undo your action later on when you realize your mistake. Proposed Solution: when moving a file between volumes, put a copy of it into the Trash Can so that you can restore it later. But who knows if this is an actual usability problem in practice.