Re: gnome-network

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 08:13, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Rodrigo Moya">
>
> > So, what do people think? any good ideas on small network tools that would
> > be nice to have in gnome-network?
>
> Would you target gnome-network for inclusion in the Desktop release?

don't know. If we come up with some good tools, yes, I would target it.

>  If so,
> its contents would have to be fairly widely appealing. Lots of good stuff
> that I think is appropriate.
>
>   - PPP setup & dialer: Rodney mentioned this, and I think it's a really
>     good candidate. Trouble is, it's kinda distro-specific nowadays, so it
>     would need to have an architecture similarish to GST.

as I already said, there is one in GST, so I think it should stay there
and gnome-network's gnome-ppp removed.

>   - rfb/rdp client: rfb is the VNC protocol, rdp is the Windows Terminal
>     Services protocol. We already have xvncviewer and rdesktop, so perhaps
>     just a frontend to these would be appropriate. TSClient [1] needs a bit
>     of UI love, but it's a good start for rdesktop.

sounds good, added to the list.

>   - ssh/telnet client: I'd love to have a little ssh/telnet bookmarks clicky
>     clicky thing. :-) If they appeared on a menu, that would be even better.
>     (I have a set of .desktop files that I use in a panel menu, which is
>     really useful, but I have to create these myself.) If it had ssh-agent
>     integration (perhaps pop up a dialogue for passphrase when gnome-session
>     starts under ssh-agent) and key generation/copying, that'd be waaay
>     sweet.

yes, sounds good. I was planning a really simpler tool (start of which
is already in gnome-network CVS), but your ideas make a lot of sense, so
yeah, added to the list also.

>   - gnome-vfs modules for various network filesystems, such as NFS, SMB
>     (already in extras, I know), Bastien's server browser thingy, gnutella,
>     etc.

yeah, that sounds really nice!

>   - Perhaps pull the network-specific gnome-applets into it (sharing code
>     where appropriate, eg. modem-lights, etc)?

> There's a few ideas... Useful?

yeah, really useful, I think you gave me some motivation, for at least
the weekend :-) Thanks!

cheers