Re: Andy's Ideas on OS X via Arlo

If this is Andy Hertzfelts work then I think it is a not a new idea of
his, but rather a re-implementation of some Nautilus work he did. I
actually mailed him about that about a month ago and here is what he
replied:

The rss "icons" work was part of a major change to Nautilus that
I developed in early 2001 to allow Nautilus to embed arbitrary bonobo
components as icons.  I developed some interesting example components to
show it off, including an rss panel which fetched, rendered and
periodically updated an rss link.

It worked in a pretty clever way.  It used an .xml file to
represent the component, but instead of assigning the normal icon, it
instantiated a component using information in the xml file.  Because
Nautilus treated it like a normal file, it could be dragged between
directories, into the trash, etc.

I got it working fairly well, but there were a few issues that
were complicated to resolve.  I developed it in a branch in the nautilus
directory of GNOME CVS, so it should still be available there; I used
tags like "post-1.0-5"; I think the last one was something like
"post-1.0-9", although I might have a few characters wrong.

-- Andy

--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus linuxrising org>