dev environment for starters

I'm just curious how people manage their development environment.  I'm
interested in doing some hacking.  Right now I live off of Ximian
snapshots, and presumably I'm better off building everything from CVS,
rather than fighting random library incompatibilities by building things
piecemeal.

Here's the rub: I *live* in GNOME2.  Not in the Tron sense, but it's my
daily desktop environment.  Is it maybe wise to install *releases* for
general consumption and have a separate build area that's usually
up-to-date w/ CVS HEAD for development?  Or do people tend to live daily
w/ whatever is committed?

Neil

--
Neil Weisenfeld