Re: CD burning and root

On 18 Dec 2002, Andrew Sobala wrote:

> After the previous CD burning discussion, I tried the nautilus CD
> burner.
>
> On my RH8 system, you need root access to burn a CD. This could be
> changed, but is fairly standard.
>
> If I put files in burn:///, then start up nautilus-cd-burner as root, it
> doesn't see any files to burn (presumably burn:/// is user specific and
> root cannot access my burn:/// folder). Starting it up using PAM doesn't
> work either, presumably because PAM starts the application as root.
> (Starting it up as myself works, but I can only make ISOs.)
>
> Is there a way to give the application root permissions yet allow it to
> access a user's burn:/// folder? Does this need to be implemented in the
> code itself? It really needs to be addressed before it becomes a viable
> CD burning utility (I know it's still alpha), and could something that
> needs addressing at a lower level in GNOME.

You need to give the user write access to the cd writer device. This can
be done in various ways, on pam-based distros it typically will be done
using console.perms.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a suicidal Amish astronaut plagued by the memory of his family's brutal
murder. She's a provocative hypochondriac detective with a flame-thrower. They
fight crime!