On disk theme format for icons?

Hi,

I'm trying to fix jrb's theme capplet in gnome-control-center to make it
more reliable. One oddity I'm noticing is that it only finds icon themes
in /usr/share/themes. This is because it looks for themes in (in order
that it looks):

1) $HOME/.icons
2) gtk_rc_get_theme_dir()/
3) /usr/share/icons

gtk_rc_get_theme_dir() usually maps to $PREFIX/share/themes, which
contains a bunch of directories like...

Crux/metacity-1
Crux/gtk-2.0

gnome-icon-theme, and the accessibility icon themes, install into
$PREFIX/share/icons. Consequently, it only shows up if its installed
with $PREFIX=/usr (because /usr/share/icons is hard-coded).

My question is...

Should icon themes be in a separate place from other themes (i.e.
PREFIX/share/icons) or should there be something like
PREFIX/share/themes/Crux/icons, and if so, what is the proper directory
name?

And if they should be in PREFIX/share/icons, how should I figure out
what directory to use for PREFIX? Should I use the same base share
directory as the gtkrc? Should I rely on where the binary was launched
from?

-Seth