Resizing resolution in X

Not sure if this is a gnome problem or X, but why when you resize the
desktop using cntrl+alt+(+/-) does the size and location of the gnome
panel not change to fit onto the screen for the different resolution. I guess this
isn't that big of a problem, but it is somewhat naggin, and something
that i wouldn't want to show my windows using friends. Is/can this be
fixed in gnome2 or is this an X problem. Semi-newbie question thanks...

dave