Re: gnome-multi-term

michael said, and havoc replied:

> >       Also - we need a decision on this issue - if we go with your
> > terminal - which seems ok as a scheme, I'd like to see it in
> > gnome-core under eclectic maintainership, and get Gediminas working
> > with you instead of against you.
>
> I hope there's no working against going on. I don't consider trying
> multiple approaches at once to be a bad thing or against anyone. I
> would encourage anyone to fix gnome-terminal. And I would encourage
> people who start full rewrites not to commit the initial broken state
> into CVS as the default implementation.

Hi Guys:

Please, *please* bear in mind that the terminal is an absolute
stopper for accessibility, so we need to try for as much
careful coordination and continuity as possible.

Marc has done some really great work in making libzvt accessible,
it was no small task... so we need to ensure that whatever we call
gnome-terminal uses libzvt sanely and that the rest of the terminal
(menus, both drop-down and popup, font selector, etc.) are fully
accessible.  At this date the best way to do this is to use
stock GTK+ widgets for all, and explicitly add AtkRelation info
where needed (for instance, where widgets in the font selector
are "controllers" for one another).

There are some folks as Wipro who are, to my understanding,
planning to do some work in this respect but in order to
be effective for 2.0 they need to know what the codebase is;
in other words it would be tragic of they patched the terminal
menus, etc. for accessibility only to find that the existing
implementation changes.

Please let us know how we can best coordinate these changes;
personally I am unclear as to why we want to make major
changes to gnome-terminal that don't simplify accessibility
at this late date.  An accessible terminal is especially important
since, until our GNOME GUI apps get fully ported and have
ATK support for extra-GTK+ widgets, command line UIs offer the
only accessible applications for some users.

Best regards,