Re: Sawfish building patch

On 14 Feb 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > Here is the size of my gnome-panel-2 after it's been running for a while:
> >
> >   23192 hp        11   0  6392 5180  3260 S     0.1  2.0   0:56 gnome-panel-2
> >
> > Not even close to the 20 megs you show for the calculator, and the
> > panel is a much more complex app, or should be.
> >
> > Nautilus 2 is noticeably snappier and smaller than Nautilus 1.
> > Overall GNOME 2 seems faster/smaller than 1.4 to me.
>
> 25053 hadess     9   0  8780 8780  6064 S     0.0  3.4   0:00
> gnome-calculator
>
> And that's on powerpc, the architecture of big binaries. Are you even
> comparing same platforms there ?

No, probbaly not - also, Havocs numbers are from top, so it would be good
to know what exactly gets counted and what not (esp. wrt. shared libs).
Having 8KB (and not 4KB) pages tends to add a certain amount of memory
overhead as well.

> My Gnome2 platform seems slower than Gnome1 but it's got loads of debug
> in there. I reckon it will feel snappier once I recompile without
> debugging. Nautilus being the exception.

Mine doesn't have debugging symbols at the moment.

> Cheers
>
> --
> /Bastien Nocera
> http://hadess.net

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding