Re: profterm's eel usage ...

On 24 Feb 2002, Havoc Pennington wrote:

[snip]

> This ensures that we avoid the "dumping ground effect" that's been so
> painful in other libraries. It also avoids maintenance-by-committee
> since each piece of the staging lib has a clear owner - the maintainer
> of the library that it makes sense for the feature to end up in.
>
> So in essence the staging lib is a shared tool for maintainers of
> platform libraries.
>
> Another rule has to be that only platform libs can be dependencies of
> the staging lib, probably. Since everything in the staging lib is
> targetted for one of the platform libs.

I'd ditch the probably - unless we are going to add that new dependency X
as part of the platform the code shouldn't depend on it, as it will need
to stop doing it at the moment it is moved into the main library anyways.

> And a ground guideline has to be that we are really serious about "no
> compat guarantees" - if something turns out to be wrong, then it comes
> out or gets changed, and people have to fix their apps.

The "being really serious about no compat guarantees" only works if the
maintainers are really serious about "will include in the library",
because otherwise you are back at gal...

> Havoc

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding