Re: GNOME2's High Memory usage

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 08:59, Chris Chabot wrote:
> A while back some people were discussing memory usage of gnome 2
> applications on this list. Now that i have a 'stable' gnome2 platform
> running again, i'd like to chip in with my results.. My conslusion would
> be that memory usage does seem awefully high, even considering the
> amount of debug info still in the binaries.
>
> Below, a ps aux sniplet, when running a fresh 'gnome-session'. Notice
> the 22megs for nautilus, and 12 .. 14 megs for applets (even with 6 or 7
> megs shared, is still a _lot_ of memory for an applet in a panel). The
> panel it self also has similar memory usage..  All this makes me very
> happy that i have 1 gig of ram, but wurried for people who do not ;-)

If people are going to start looking at memory usage, they need to give
a perspective.

Examples of problems:
x86 vs PPC vs Sparc architectures, memory values will skew greatly

Compiler options, different optimizations will add speed and sacrifice
memory

Underlying distribution, different support libraries may have different
footprints and change the shared and/or virtual size.

--
Frank