Re: GNOME2's High Memory usage

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:05:11PM +0000 or thereabouts, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 16:11, Chris Chabot wrote:
> > Ofcource a large part of this seems to be in the amount of libraries
> > loaded and the memory they use.
>
> 	Well - the code size of the libraries can be dramatically reduced by
> stripping them - if that is the problem,
>
> 	What would be much more useful would be for you to use a tool like
> memprof or quantify and see where all the memory is being allocated, and
> why it's hanging around not being freed, and if there's anything easy we
> can do about it.
>
> 	Hopefully you'll find some fairly low hanging fruit in there somewhere,
> send a more in-depth memory analysis for something really small and
> silly that shouldn't use much space like an applet eg.

Julian Seward sent me a pointer to an app called "valgrind" which
I think may perhaps help here? I have played with it, but I am
at a loss to interpret its results.

   Valgrind  is  a GPL'd tool to help you find memory-management problems
   in  your programs. When a program is run under Valgrind's supervision,
   all   reads   and   writes   of  memory  are  checked,  and  calls  to
   malloc/new/free/delete  are  intercepted.

http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj

Frank will note it's Linux-specific and x86-specific, but I'm sure
he knows other tools for other platforms :)

If I misunderstand the problems from the thread and the nature of
this valgrind app, my apologies; but it seemed an opportune time
to mention it.

Since I am staring at the output and wondering which bits are
relevant, which are normal, which are X, and which are bugs, I
think other people should have a play with it, because they
might understand it.

Telsa