File types/default applications/url handlers

Greetings all,

For some time now, GNOME has had a serious problem with regards to file
types, default applications, and url handlers. I have received several
requests to consolidate them as their areas of functionality overlap. In
addition, the interfaces are poorly designed and much of the code is not
well written. I have discussed this with Richard Hestilow and we have
come up with a concrete plan for this realm of configuration. First, a
brief outline:

File types is used for setting up handlers for particular MIME types. It
interfaces with GNOME VFS' MIME database, so that an application can use
a relatively simple API for performing actions, such as viewing and
editing, on files of different types. It is similar to the associations
in Windows.

Default applications is a simple capplet that allows one to specify
one's preferred text editor, web browser, help browser, and terminal.

URL handlers allows one to specify what should happen when calling
gnome_url_show () for different protocols.

Some of this functionality overlaps and much of it is poorly defined.
For example, why should the handler for http be different from the
handler for HTML, and why should one specify the web browser in yet a
third place? The preferred text editor is really the editor for plain
text documents. Plus, if one loads an http URL that points to a PDF
document, should the handler for PDFs not be launched as opposed to the
handler for http URLs?

Here is what we propose:

1. Default applications should be relegated to the advanced section. The
sections configuring the text editor and the web browser should be
removed, as those are better specified in the file types capplet. The
remaining sections -- help browser and terminal -- constitute integrated
parts of the desktop, and only advanced users should be presented with
the option of changing them.

2. The file types capplet will be given a major UI facelift. The types
will be placed in a tree, with toplevel nodes being items like
"Documents", "Images", "Video", and "Sound". In particular, there should
only be a few. One will be able to configure a single application for
every MIME type under a toplevel node (e.g. one handler for all
pictures), and one will be able to configure applications for subtypes
(e.g. Images/GIMP XCF) to override the toplevel settings.

3. URL handlers will be merged into file types; all URLs will be placed
under the toplevel node "Internet Services" therein. When configuring a
URL handler, one will be given the option of either launching the
handler for the type of content given by that URL (this makes sense for
http and ftp) or launching a program with that URL (this makes sense for
most everything else). In cases where GNOME-VFS does not understand a
particular protocol, or where looking at the content makes no sense
(such as mailto), the option of looking at the content will be disabled.
The dialog will contain several common default handlers for each URL for
the case where the user elects to launch a program (e.g. Balsa and
Evolution composer for mailto urls).

4. The new merged URL handlers and file types capplet will be renamed to
reflect its combined duties. It will be placed in the "Main" section of
the control center.

Some of this we are still a bit unsure of, e.g. it might actually be
better to leave the URL handlers and file types capplets separate and
rename the former "Internet Services". Unfortunately we are short of
users' skins to crawl into and evaluate that decision.

We have a basic mockup screenshot of the combined capplet available at
http://primates.ximian.com/~tvgm/handlers.png

Any comments?

Bradford Hovinen                                                  Hacker
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~hovinen/                    Ximian Desktop team
hovinen ximian com                                          Ximian, Inc.

Now what is history? It is the centuries of systematic explorations of
the riddle of death, with a view to overcoming death. That's why people
discover mathematical infinity and electromagnetic waves, that's why
they write symphonies.
                                      - Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago