Re: GNOME 2.0 Desktop 'Alpha' Release

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, ERDI Gergo wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2002, jacob berkman wrote:
>
> > i umm thought this was supposed to be fixed in gnome 2.
>
> no, what was fixed was not binding the prefix of independent packages to
> the prefix of libgnome*.
> you'd also need to modify the contents of the .pc files when relocation
> occurs...

Well, having a relocation tool/script that changed the prefix= line in .pc
files isn't that hard. .la files are much worse (and thats mildly put).

relocatability is not so much about actually changing the location of
installation once it has been installed - but being able to install it in
a different $PREFIX than that you used when building. Which means that you
can use (or rather, have the package manager run) a fix-up script to deal
with .pc files.

> --
>    .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
>    \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001
>     `---= cactus cactus rulez org =---'
> chown -R us.us yourbase (#gnome)

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding