[jirka 5z com: Re: [Usability] instant-apply issue]

Forgot to send this to the list

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:43:52PM +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > Which reminds me, does the porting guide and/or style guide suggest what
> > preferences dialogs should do when GConf indicates that the user doesn't
> > have permission to change a particular preference?  Disable those
> > controls?  Show a lock icon beside them or something?  Hopefully not
> > 'just ignore any changes the user makes', anyway.
>
> This doesn't just apply to preferences dialogs of course, before George
> tells us PonG already handles it :)  Any GUI features like menus,
> drag-and-drop etc. could potentially be lockable via GConf.

I'm not sure right now if it does, it might sicne I remember thinking about
that, but I have no clue.  I think it would be utterly trivial to do in
however.  This is another point of using pong.  There are a lot of these
small issues and if people implement all dialogs by hand, there will be many
different subsets of how things work among apps, and most things will not be
handled in most applications.

With pong, a sysadmin could also just remove certain things from the
configuration dialogs fairly easily.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>