Re: GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS() not doing good.

On 1/17/02 10:11 AM, "textshell" <textshell neutronstar dyndns org> wrote:

> Please be careful that you do not make it impossible to compile the packages
> on some systems.
> I had the following problem on a system with glibc-2.2.2(SuSE): (SuSE 6.4
> with a glibc update)
> I got a lot of compiler warnings from a system header using some highly magic
> optimasion tricks (/usr/include/bits/string2.h), all wraped with
> __extension__, but this gives warnings even if it is protected by
> __extension__ when compiled with -Wpointer-arith!

You're thinking of -Werror. Most Gnome packages don't use that, and even the
ones that do only use it when you compile from cvs, not from tarball.

-Wall is a separate issue. Warnings don't ever prevent you from compiling
without -Werror.

> So i had to use
> export CFLAGS='-Wno-pointer-arith'
> to silence these Warnings and to compile the packages.
>
> I might add that I was using cvs head versions of the gnome packages.

Another option is to configure those packages with --disable-more-warnings.

    -- Darin