Re: backwards compatible .desktop files

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 02:31:39PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > some applications are starting to install .desktop files in
> > $(datadir)/applications, where the 1.4 panel will not find them.
> >
> > is there any reason not to install into both places?
>
> IMO that makes a lot of sense.

Yup, that will work.  the vfolder code will pick up the one that comes from
applications if it's in both places.  In fact, it could still be just in
the old place, but I think we should start slowly moving towards the latter.

In any case, another issue is translations.  We now really want things in
UTF-8 (else it slows down some stuff by forcing us to convert to utf8).  Also
I assume all translations are done in utf-8 in gnome2, so anything using
intltool will also have the .desktop files in utf8, and this just won't work
for 1.4 panel.

Perhaps we could write a tool that would convert utf-8 to local encodings
when installing to the old location.  Old panel would pick up the old
encodings, and the new panel would pick up the normal utf8 version.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.