GNOME 2.0 Desktop "You Are Here" Update

Hi all,

We have a beta release next week. :) Packages are due on the 28th, or
preferably beforehand so we can release it earlier in the week.

The alpha release went very well, with only a couple of packages coming in
late. If we can do the same with the beta, distributors can have binaries
out faster, and testers will have a better opportunity to report bugs during
the long gap between this beta and the release candidate.

Please follow up to this email if you have particular areas that need help!

Schedule Status:

   October 24 Package List FREEZE - package list for Gnome 2.0 finalized
   October 31 PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2. Platform Alpha 2
   November 2 RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Platform Alpha 2
   November 2 API FREEZE - any further API changes must be individually
     approved
   November 23 Feature FREEZE - no feature additions for core packages
     w/o approval of release team
   December 10 PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2.0 API Frozen Platform Beta
   December 14 RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 API Frozen Platform Beta
   January 14 PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Alpha
   January 16 RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Alpha

   .-------------.
  / YOU ARE HERE /  with 6 days to the next interesting date
  `-------------'

   January 28 UI FREEZE - no more UI changes w/o approval of release team
     (excludes 1.4 feature porting)
   January 28 PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Beta
   January 30 RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Beta
   January 30 Porting FREEZE - porting complete as per GNOME 2.0 Porting
     Guide
   February 4 String FREEZE - no more localizable string changes w/o
     approval of release team
   February 18 PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Release Candidate 1
   February 20 RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Release Candidate 1
   February 20 DEEP FREEZE - release team approved fixes only from now to
     final
   March 13 PACKAGES DUE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Final
   March 15 RELEASE - Gnome 2.0 Desktop Final

- Jeff

--
     "The Irish were next, being the only people who could credibly be
    accused of lowering the tone of a society of convicts." - Guy Rundle