Re: 3rd party .desktop files

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 00:29, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> You could make a "desktop file authoring tool" but don't you think
> it's overkill for a 10-line Key=value file?

Not if there's no man page for the format ;)

> Anyhow I thought they were just supposed to install them wherever
> desktop files go. Though I think it might be sensible to support a
> separate location for OS-supplied .desktop files vs. ISV .desktop
> files, i.e. have the panel look in two directories, just to
> remove any hint of namespace issues.

Yeah, I was also thinking that perhaps we should namespace them
according to which package they were in. I'm not sure if we really need
more than one location - this kinda goes against what George was trying
to achive with his new vfolder proposal and implementation.

> It's broken for gnome-core to come with .desktop files for other
> apps. .desktop files are standard, KDE also uses them.

So, can we remove them? I think it's the right thing to do here.

				See ya,
					Glynn :)