Re: Location of Desktop Preferences menu (was Reducing the number of special uris in gnome)

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 22:47, James M. Cape wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 10:07, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> > Here's a suggestion:
> >
> > Replace
> >
> > Applications               Actions
> > ============               =======
> > Accessories >              Run Program...
> > Desktop Preferences >      Search for Files...
> > :                          Take a Screenshot...
> > :                          -----------------
> > :                          Lock Display
> > :                          Log Out
> >
> > with
> >
> > Applications               Desktop
> > ============               =======
> > Accessories >              Run Program...
> > :                          Search for Files...
> > :                          Take a Screenshot...
> > :                          -----------------
> > :                          Lock Display
> > :                          Log Out
> > :                          -----------------
> > :                          Preferences >
>
> I think "Desktop" is better than "Actions", but "GNOME" is better still.
> For most users, and in other places in the UI, "Desktop" refers to the
> desktop/root window: in the default case, nautilus icons. It also
> promotes a cleaner ideological separation between GNOME & the
> applications which use/require GNOME. GNOME2 vs. GNOME2 applications,
> etc.

2 problems with calling it "GNOME" are:

1) I don't think a lot of people know exactly what GNOME is. It's a
mixture of utilities, desktop and libraries. A "Gnome" menu to control
"Gnome" doesn't exactly make this clearer.

2) (More importantly) We have a "GNOME" menu, or one that could easily
be mistaken for it. It's the foot menu (gnome icon).

> * Applications   [GNOME]
>                  +------------------+
>                  |* Run Program...  |
>                  |* Search...       |
>                  |* Take Screenshot |
>                  |==================|
>                  |* Preferences...  |
>                  |* Lock Display    |
>                  |* Log Out         |
>
> Also noticible from this organization is the thought that the menu for
> "Desktop Preferences" should go away in favor of a simple .desktop
> launching gnome-control-center. Definately much simpler for beginning
> users, and not particularly more overhead, since nautilus is now much
> quicker, and gnomecc is not slow to start by any means.

I agree with doing away with the preference submenus and launching
nautilus instead.