Re: gnome-recent (plans)

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 05:13, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I still wonder if we shouldn't install libegg, and protect it with
> LIBEGG_I_KNOW_THESE_ARE_PROTOTYPES or something.

I'm not sure that's a good idea:

* Many applications are just using one or two "features" from libegg.

* Installing the library means people are going to use it and depend on
it, no matter how many #defines they have to put in their code :)

* It also means we have to make regular releases of libegg, which is
more work for the maintainer(s).

* libegg is a highly unstable module that's guaranteed to break both API
and ABI compat which means that a change in libegg could break a lot of
applications.

* Most of the things that are used regularly are probably ready to go
into gtk+ and the gnome libraries.

That's all I can think of for now. There's probably more though :)

Anders