Re: GNOME 2.2 screenshots

Tom Tromey <tromey redhat com> writes:
> Havoc> Ideally the automake-1.6 package would not even contain a thing
> Havoc> called simply "automake" since it just encourages bugs of the
> Havoc> form "I got the wrong automake"
>
> I don't think we'll do this.  Instead just put AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = 1.6
> into the top-level Makefile.am of any converted package.  Then you'll
> get an error if you accidentally use 1.4.

That makes sense.

> Havoc> If we can't do parallel install, we can't migrate to new
> Havoc> automake module-by-module. That means that as soon as we move
> Havoc> to 1.6 for HEAD, then people can't work on the stable branch
> Havoc> anymore, unless they have two totally different build prefixes,
> Havoc> with their own copies of autotools.
>
> I don't understand.  Is this somehow related to the automatic rebuild
> rules?

No. It's simply that we have to move all thousand-plus people building
out of CVS, and the dozens of modules they're building, as a whole.
Because without parallel install, people can only have one version of
automake installed. We can't change just one module to 1.6, because
users would then need to switch automakes, build that module, and
switch automakes back.  This is why we are still using 1.4, because
changing all this at once is just too hard.

If we could switch each module on its own time, we would have dumped
1.4 ages and ages ago. Because switching would be really easy, since
we wouldn't have to cause any pain/breakage in order to do it; we'd
just say "you have to install all the automakes" and then things would
Just Work for people and the packages could use a mix of automakes.

Maybe it's too late to fix; aside from renaming automake to
automake-1.4, there's the /usr/share/aclocal conflict issue, and all
that. I dunno.

Havoc