Re: Fifth-toe list (was Re: [Usability]thoughts on ui-review for fifth toe)

On 11 Jul 2002, Luis Villa wrote:

> > gcalctool
> > 	a much better gnome calculator (well, in all ways really
> > 	once the slideruler easter-egg gets ported)
>
> Would be nice to have in fifth toe for now and in gnome desktop in the
> future, with one caveat for desktop: it needs a 'simple' mode- something
> that looks like a hand calculator and not a gigantic programmable one.
>
> > gconf-editor
> > 	unless we expect people to use gconftool
>
> Good call, though it's defacto in desktop already as (to the best of my
> knowledge) /every/ distributor of gnome is including it, except our very
> own tarballs.

then this probably boils down to - do we bypass the 5th toe stage of movig
into the core or include it in the 5th toe first so it gets translated,
documented and even more tested first?

there is also David, not sure what the porting status is ATM

> > I think the main question here really is 'do we want language bindings to
> > be in here or no'. Also, devhelp (or a gnome2 port of similar)? Or will we
> > just use yelp for it all?
>
> If we have language bindings, I don't see why we shouldn't ship them
> here.

no - there are essentially three scenarios:

	* always only officialy support the main, C binding, other
	  bindings live in their own release

	* include complete and stable bindings in

	* do nothing about language bindings

Just like for gnome office, it is quite reasonable to have a separately
released component that encapsulates language bindings and tools for
developing code on and for the gnome platform.

> > not being actively ported and not likely to make it? Or has the situation
> > changed recently? if we add evolution we have to add libgtkhtml1 in to
> > this list.
>
> I assume you meant this to refer only to gnucash and evo; dunno about
> gnucash but it will be a long while before evo is ready.

actually, just evo, and we seem to be on agreement on it. I have no idea
of gnucach-es status.

> --
> Luis Villa <louie ximian com>

	Sander