Re: Suggestion: Link metacity and gnome-system-monitor

On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 18:17, textshell neutronstar dyndns org wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 06:25:56PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > El sáb, 13-07-2002 a las 18:15, Mark Finlay escribió:
> > > I think that it would be really useful if metacity had a default
> > > keybinding to bring up the gnome-system-monitor.
> > >
> > > When a program crashes most user's habitual behavior is to press
> > > ALT+CTRL+DEL - at the moment they then realise that that does nothing
> > > and go looking for a way to kill the app. It would be a lot more
> > > intritive, IMHO, if ALT+CTRL+DEL ran the system-monitor.
> >

> > It's not so intuitive. It's the windows way. I don't like it because
> > it's the same keybinding to reboot a server (from text mode).
> >
> > For example, the macos way it's better here (IMHO) but we can use other
> > one, of course. They use ALT+Apple key+ESC, we can use, for example,
> > Ctr+Alt+Esc
>
> Yes KDE uses Ctrl+Alt+Esc to change the cursor to the 'pirate' and kills (XKill)
> the client the user clicks on. This is a really nice although somewhat dangerus
> feature. I have a similar thing on my desktop as a sawfish extenstion.
>
> For discussion of the real purpose of ctrl-alt-del or such things have a look
> at:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-May/msg00716.html
>
> The kill cursor as seen in KDE and maybe MacOS is a nice thing to have. A
> keyboard shortcut for gnome-system-monitor could be nice too, but is that really
> a feature for the window manager? I'd say if some part of the desktop would
> provide a generic way to start programs on key combos would be more useful(maybe
> with a default for g-system-monitor)

MacOS X pops up a dialog with a list of applications currently running
(nice icons included), and it's possible to cancel the kill.

IMO, this would be a good addition to the panel's action menu, along
with the ability to change the shortcut, via the kbd shortcut prefs.

I can provide some screenshot of the MacOS X dialog. Anybody fancy
taking this on ? It's a good task for gnome-love.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net