Re: How to make gnome2 behave?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 04:27:45AM +0200, Chris Chabot wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a minimal gnome2 startup on my notebook, to save
> some memory and speed things up a bit. So i made a .xinitrc that looks
> like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export GDK_USE_XFT=0
> aumix -L
> gnome-settings-daemon &
> metacity &
> exec gnome-panel
[...]
> However, when i start up like this, i see xscreensaver and esd are
> automaticly started as well. I double checked in my
> gnome-control-center, and i disabled the use of xscreensaver, and
> disabled sound. So what exacly is starting up these 2 daemons, and why?
> I even tried gnome-panel --disable-sound, but that wasnt it ... i also
> removed the mixer applet from the panel (thinking it might start esd),
> but to no avail.

These are being started by gnome-settings-daemon. To disable
xscreensaver and esd, respectively, set the

	/apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver/start_screensaver
	/desktop/gnome/sound/enable_esd

keys in gconf to false. That should do the trick.

(Note that this is totally untested -- I just read the
gnome-settings-daemon code, which is pretty easy to understand.)

Cheers,
Malcolm