Re: Control Center Behavior

On 18 Jul 2002, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with you Seth on the issues raised. We need explanations.
>
> On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 06:06, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 16:27, Mark Finlay wrote:
> <snip>
> > > 2. It has sepporate panes for launchers and settings which is much more
> > > intuitive and eliminates confusion and disoriatation caused by the
> > > nautilus version.
> >
> > What in particular is confusing and disorienting about the Nautilus
> > version for you?
> >
> > One problem I see with the Nautilus version is that its not immediately
> > obvious which items are folders and which are actual preference pages.
> > This is a serious problem. Ideally what would happen is that images for
> > folders would not replace the folder icon, but would work as emblems. As
> > a short term fix we should probably figure out how to disable icons for
> > folders when browsing that URI in Nautilus. Folder icons may not be as
> > pretty, but they're more useful.
>
> This I think I know how to do, as I browsed that code yesterday.
>
> in libnautilus-private/nautilus-directory-async.c in
> should_look_for_dot_directory_file, remove the "preferences:" scheme
> from the scheme for which it should look for a .directory. That should
> fix the problem here (although I didn't test).

Another idea would be to not install said .directory files, or replace the
icons in them with ones that look like directories, instead of hacking up
the code to ignore them.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted drug-addicted cowboy searching for his wife's true killer.
She's a cosmopolitan blonde soap star with the power to see death. They fight
crime!