Launcher types

I'm updating the User Guide and need some information about launchers
and launcher types. Can anyone help me out?

First of all, where can you have launchers on the desktop - in your
menus, on your panels, on the desktop background - anywhere else?

Secondly, I need to understand the types of launcher:

1. Application (I understand this one)
2. Link (http://, ftp://, what else can you enter in the command field
when the launcher type is link?
3. FSDevice (What is this? Can you give an example?)
4. MimeType (How would you use this, for example?)
5. Service (What is this?)
6. Service Type (What is this?)

Any help/pointers to where I might find this information welcome. Please
CC me on replies.

Eugene