Re: automake transition

Alex Graveley wrote:

Hi,

So I've been building everything with automake 1.6.1 for a long time
now, and the only packages I can think of off hand that have problems
are audiofile, gstreamer, gst-plugins, monkey-sound, and rhythmbox.
There are however a lot of makefiles that have to be run a few times
because they die on one-time warnings, usually related to variable
naming.
I suspect that many of the packages you are building with automake 1.6 will fail to distcheck, so they don't fully work with 1.6. To correctly distcheck, the package needs to:

   * be able to successfully do a builddir build with a read-only srcdir
   * make sure that "make uninstall" removes all files installed with
     "make install"
   * make sure that "make distclean" removes all files in the builddir

In some of my packages, I cheated on the first part for the gtk-doc stuff and added a "chmod u+w $(srcdir)" line in places. For the second, you need to add "uninstall-local" targets that undo what your "install-*local" targets do. For the third, you need to add distclean-local targets that remove extra build files, or add to the CLEAN_FILES variable.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html