libgailutil and platform

Hi,

Looking at the Red Hat Linux tree on fire today, I realized that
libgailutil is used a lot more widely than I thought.

Due to the soname change I have to rebuild at least:

 - eel
 - librsvg
 - nautilus
 - eog
 - gdm
 - gedit
 - gnome-applets
 - gnome-media
 - gnome-python
 - gtkhtml2
 - yelp

If a library is going to be used this widely it probably should follow
the platform rules and never break ABI. It's just too painful
otherwise. If the library isn't stable enough to follow those rules it
shouldn't be used so widely.

I know breaking the soname here was an honest mistake (one that's
costing me a couple days of time - though please don't revert it now,
that would cost a couple days again!), but we should probably set the
expectation that it won't happen again in the 2.0.x branch. This lib
is just too widely used.  If gail isn't finished, we should fork off a
development branch for 2.1.x and leave the 2.0.x one alone. With 2.0.x
in feature freeze there should be no reason to break the ABI in the
2.0.x series.

Thanks,
Havoc